Monday, February 17, 2003

I thought maybe today I should lighten up the mood by posting only good things. Since I posted really bad movies somewhere down the page, here's a list of movies I like. It's not in any particular order. Don't bother to complain that some of these movies are not "good" movies. These are just movies I like to watch depending on moods and circumstances.

Disclaimer: I most likely WILL forget some movies that ought to have been included and WILL include some that really should have been. It's only a list. You can add to it anything you'd like.


  • The Great Escape
    If I had to name three reasons why they'd all start with Steve McQueen. But secretly, I'd take James Garner anytime. Hey, he can get you anything you like. Honorary Movie Mention Here: Chicken Run

  • Little Shop of Horrors
    Wins my MonAward for best Musical. Don't feed the plants!

  • Léon
    And no, it does not star Jean Claude van Damme, the muscles from Brussels. Don't ask me again. Go educate yourself.

  • Stupid Dumbass Comedy Prize: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
    Stupid dumbass comedies don't get any better. And I get to say that I liked Keanu way before anybody else knew he existed.

  • The Court Jester
    Say it with me: The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle. The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true!

  • Star Wars IV, V and VI
    Or I, II and III as I like to call them, because those others just did not exist as far as I am concerned. Nor do the "enhanced" digital versions, thank you very much.

  • Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Ah, those days where Indy was still around... Honorary Movie Mention: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

  • E.T.
    What can I say, I am a sucker for 80s movies. And to prove it, I'll include the
  • Early Matthew Broderick Oeuvre aka Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Wargames. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Go to Defcon 1.

  • Lawrence of Arabia
    It's so...monumental....and Peter O'Toole's eyes are so...blue...

  • T2
    A given for best ac-shun movie. Honorary Movie Mention: Mission Impossible

  • And the award for Most Disturbing Vietnam Movie goes to: Full Metal Jacket. Honorary Movie Mention: Good Morning Vietnam

  • Best Movie With Scary Villain in a Cage: Silence of the Lambs

  • The best two movies that people take serious but are parodies really and as such are always a pleasure to watch: Starship Troopers and ConAir

  • Lilo and Stitch shares the glory of Best Disney Movie with Aladdin
    Even if you don't like Disney movies, you might give those a try. As far as animation in general, I have a soft spot in my heart for

  • The Last Unicorn
    It's a great book, too. Honorary Animation Mentions: Toy Story 1+2 and Shrek

  • Trainspotting
    Fucking brilliant.

  • Clerks
    What about those contractors on the Death Star?

  • Cyrano de Bergerac
    Drawback: One has to watch it in French. Honorary Gerard Dépardieu Movie Mention: Green Card

  • Muriel's Wedding
    Best Movie Ever to Cry to. And I do every time. (Girls Alert!)

  • The Crimson Pirate
    *insert generic pirate joke here* Serious swashbuckling.

  • Lord of the Rings
    Peter Jackson did such a lovely job of creating a Middle Earth that I can wholeheartedly endorse.

  • La vita è bella
    It just breaks my heart every time I see it.


I'll stop here. There's just too many movies. Too many. If I put down To Kill a Mockingbird now, I'll include every Cary Grant/James Stewart/Gregory Peck movie that I like and we'd be here for a while. So I won't. It's only a pointless list anyway.



Notes:

A. I used to really like Pulp Fiction but it got beaten to death somehow. Same goes for the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Though I do a mean timewarp. Or Monty Python movies. Romanes eunt domus.

B. No, I did not forget The Matrix.

C. I sincerely wish I could include any film by Terry Gilliam, because I like him personally and they are just so different but I just can't stand watching them. I am sorry.

D. Movies that I have a feeling I might include but haven't seen yet: The Godfather. Loved, loved, loved the book. The Shawshank Redemption. Got the DVD, haven't watched it yet. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: