Friday, February 21, 2003

OK. I am a little bit drunk at the moment but I'll try to give you an update of my Berlin trip...


Let me tell you about the Zwan concert first and how good it was!!! There actually weren't too many people there so we still got tickets at the location. Opening act Mia performed to an audience that was completely immobile. I've never seen anything like it. They were carved out of stone. They did not move an eyebrow. They did not clap. Nothing. I somehow felt sorry for Mia, they actually were not that bad...I've seen much worse (Mr. Big comes to mind - don't ask). Sort of a mixture of punk/Bjork/Velvet Underground. In German, too, but you couldn't understand much, the sound was sort of bad. But hey, I still think one should at least acknowledge the effort of an opening act. Nobody did, though.


When Billy Corgan walked out onto the stage, they started thawing, though. He was looking really good, too. I mean, he is always good-looking, but he looked really well...I can only compare it to the last Smashing Pumpkins concert I saw when he was dressed in that long leather coat standing at the microphone, not moving an inch, looking miserable (Weltschmerz!). Here it just seemed like he was having fun...energy was coming off him in waves, I can't really describe it, but it just sucked you in and pulled you along. He even played the guitar with his teeth at one point. So at the end you would not have recognized the crowd. Everybody was in a frenzy jumping and dancing. It just made me feel really good which I haven't in a long time and that was so fucking relieving I can't even begin to tell you. I bought the CD the next day, too, and am listening to it right now. Sort of sounds like the Smashing Pumpkins, but I guess you can't avoid that what with his distinctive voice and everything. I just love the second song, but it was just so much better live...that concert alone was worth going to Berlin for, really.
Note: Sorry, Paul, it was that good...too bad you couldn't come, but I bought you a present, it being your birthday and all. Though I have to admit it's not really the best present ever but hopefully it's the thought that counts... :)


Then on to the reason why we had gone there. Starring on TV. I've done this before, because I'm really good at waving to the general public out of an audience while other people make loads of money :) This time it was my roommate who won about a gazillion Euros while I grinned and waved like an idiot. Well, somebody has to do it. But I'm telling you, if they ever accept my application at "Who wants to be a millionaire" there will be no stopping me...


At least we had a reason to party afterwards :) Had lots of drinks (which doesn't really signify anything in Berlin, because drinks there are just so small...here people would riot if you'd try to sell them beers that small). And today we went back. Another 7 hours on the ICE (you know how much I love travelling by train, yechhh). Ah well, it was really really worth it...I had a good time.


Things are not looking so rosy for my snowboarding trip, though...I don't know if we'll be able to go after all...we'll see.


That's it for today. I am going to bed, still listening to my CD. Thank you for your attention.

No comments: