Friday, September 11, 2009

Buzzer Beat (WikiLink)

What's it about?
Well, some would say it is about a basketball team and a couple of people who fall in and out of love. Another point of view is that it is about YamaPi playing basketball, and then showering. A lot. (Sometimes he's also in the bathtub, but who's picky?)

What do I say?
As I write this the dorama isn't finished yet (Pi fell victim to swine flu and the last episode will be broadcast next week), but I guess I've seen enough that I can say something about it. It's OK but a bit boring - there's not much happening other than the predictable people falling in love (maybe the last episode will surprise me and all will be different). The main characters always seem to be moping around, and the only person who couldn't be replaced by a cardboard cutout is the main girl's roommate.

Yes, girls, I am sorry, I like YamaPi, but if he's cast as the romantic lead he always has as much chemistry with the girl as a rock. A very uncharismatic rock. Maybe a rock with moss growing on its (impressive) pectorals. Compare that to MatsuJun who may very well be not!straight, but who would have chemistry with a wooden chair if he really had to.

I don't really know why that is - however, I once saw YamaPi in a talkshow where he was asked what he liked about girls. At first, he was somewhat at a loss, then he blurted out "Oppai!" (boobies). That's probably not a very method position to come from if you have to imagine yourself as a romantic lover. Maybe he'll get better (I suspect he has a girlfriend...after being treated to "I ate noodles/fish/burgers and then I went boxing" day after day on his nikki, we got "the weather is so nice and I love music, and we all should be shiny happy people" the other day for at least a week).

Back to the series at hand: Method, schmethod, YamaPi is nice to look at, and the love story is kind of cute, and I like the chainsmoking proseccodrinking "evil" Ueno Juri character and her diminuitive lover. So this gets an OK. Even if it stars that one guy from "First Kiss" with the freakish large head / hair.

No comments: