Sunday, April 27, 2003

I just returned from a party. It was kind of strange.. I'm never that good at making small talk. And my attention span and concentration were seriously lacking as I was still feeling somewhat out of sorts. So I started all sorts of conversations that kept getting interrupted by somebody barging in or me getting distracted and I felt a little like hanging in the air...drifting around...talking this and that...never making any sense (I hardly ever do even when I'm all there - senseless rambling is my speciality). I even think a guy was hitting on me shortly but then this, that or the other happened and our conversation got interrupted - well, maybe he wasn't hitting on me, I'm not even sure. At least he payed me a compliment. And I like compliments, even if I didn't really care for the guy. I never knew what to say to him and I hate rummaging around in my (already slowly functioning) brain for something to say.


That's also what I don't like about small talk, I guess. Most of the time it's just so - boring. Maybe it's my lack of interest in other people but I don't really care whether you were born in Bielefeld, shortly lived in Gütersloh, then moved to Munich and were supposed to meet your friends because you had arranged to meet two weeks ago in Freiburg which didn't work out so you decided to meet this weekend but then everybody cancelled and then you heard your best friend's cousin was having this party so you came here. Bored? You betcha. Maybe I just don't have a knack for it and if I just asked the right questions, an actual conversation would emerge from the mud pits of small talk (Dagobah, anyone? Use the force you must, Mon. Raise the conversation, you can). Maybe it works better when you're really drunk. But alas, I just sipped at a beer and didn't feel like indulging in heavy vodka drinking.


I guess I'll drag my tired body to bed now and see if I can be restored to former glory.

No comments: