Sunday, June 22, 2003

Just now my monitor decided it wants to work again, after it flickered this morning and just went out. Great. I sincerely hope it'll work tomorrow, I have to get some work done. Don't want to do it now, have a bit of a headache due to intent reading of the new Harry Potter. Finished it, too. Here are my thoughts (behold the miracle that is inviso-text. if you don't want to know, don't highlight. am not giving away information too crucial, though.):


It was a bit on the longish side, the plot sort of meandered all over the place. I didn't think it had quite the structure of the previous books. Still was fun to read. It didn't keep me riveted to the book like the fourth one did or made me shiver under my blankets like the third one did. I still was intrigued enough to read it straight through. Had to laugh out loud several times, too, it was quite funny sometimes.


SPOILER
Cried about Neville and his parents, but I always cry about all things Neville. The scene where he wins the House Cup in the first novel always makes me misty eyed and choked up. Didn't cry about the death, though. Won't mention who dies even invisible, don't want to give anything away. That was so rushed and strange I didn't come to feel anything. Still think he's coming back.

Some people were behaving strangely out of character, which I found odd. Harry Potter was behaving strangely out of character, but I think that was intentional as he's in the grip of puberty-induced hormonal ups and downs. But Cho was behaving strangely, and Sirius, too. Thankfully, not a lot of Dobby. A cool new witch, though. And I liked what they did with James Potter and Professor Snape, because I always liked Snape somehow.
SPOILER

Lots of things didn't get explained, so there's plenty of plot to go around for the next book. I certainly hope she will finish the series sometimes (it was always said she had everything worked out). Not like other authors I could mention here. If any of you has never read a Wheel of Time book, you probably should keep it that way.


[aside]

Robert Jordan's on what? the twelfth installment now, the story's not going anywhere, sometimes he doesn't mention a main character the whole book, secondary characters have been introduced like there's no tomorrow, and everything's so convoluted that by the time the new book comes out you clear forgot what all the other books were about. And I still haven't figured out who the "Man who called himself Bors" (At least in this part of the world) was.

[/aside]


Back to Harry Potter, I really would like the story to go somewhere with not a lot of loose ends and loopholes. Well, we'll see how that works out.


Other than that, I still am a bit sick which is stupid because I can't go running and I see my participation in the Munich City Run endangered. Hopefully, I can try running again tomorrow. The "cold" or whatever it is gets on my nerves, as it just drags on and makes me feel slightly miserable, not enough to be full-blown sick but enough to prevent me from doing things. I didn't go to the Southside festival, too and also thought it better not to go to the lake today like I had planned to. Maybe tomorrow. No, I really shouldn't.


Oh, and I watched the Dawson's Creek series finale yesterday. Well, I tried to but I fell asleep sometime during the second episode (It's a two-parter). Rather boring. Then again, I haven't been watching Dawson's Creek for ages now, so I guess watching the finale was kinda pointless. But they said it was fun. They lied. It wasn't. Wonder why my monitor held out then. I woke up when the credits were rolling and turned everything off.

No comments: