Monday, July 07, 2003

Fire in my Feet

First of all, let me tell you about my running experience. I might have told you already, but why not listen to it again?
I almost overslept and so had to grab all my stuff in panic and hurry out to catch the subway. So my first work-out experience consisted of running after the subway while eating a banana. Not a pretty sight.

Then I arrived and at 8 the thing started. At first it felt like a lot of people just needed to go somewhere - coincidentally at the same time wearing the same outfit (we had a running shirt given to us). I was jogging along nicely while everybody was overtaking me. Oh well, I wasn't out to set records.

Around km 7 I got an inexplicable urge to eat a cheese sandwich. Brie cheese, to be precise. As that wasn't available, I had a cup of water. Or two. Of course I needed to go pee all the time, so you may deduct about an hour from my total running time. Everything went smoothly until km 15 when I started getting tired. But only the last two kms were real hard. And yes, it was good I had stopped smoking because then I started wheezing and I don't know if cigarettes before the race help with that. Though I saw somebody bumming a Marlboro from a bystander just before the race. Then again, there was a really fat person running in front of me. They were all faster than me. Actually, I overtook the fat man at some point, so I don't know whether he really finished.

When I finished my left thigh and right foot felt terrible. They actually do up to now, so I hope that'll go away tomorrow. And my knees hurt. Other than that I was fine. Accurately, I took 2:24:53 which makes me Number 550.

Ants in my Pants

After my relaxing bath, everybody went to the Robbie Williams concert. Obviously, everybody had tickets, inexplicably I ended up not having any. This has happened before. In the beginning, everybody says they're not going, in the end I am the only one with no ticket. But I went anyway with Tinisch and Marco and sat on the hill opposite the arena where the sound was actually surprisingly good. The strange thing was that it got even better the farther you went away.

Bad thing though: While we were sitting on the hill, you guessed it: Ants climbed into my pants. So now I not only have sore muscles but also ant bites on my butt.

No comments: