Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Death and Taxes

Finally did my income tax return yesterday, but when I wanted to mail it today, I discovered I had forgotten a form and - while I am at work - it is at home. Great. I think I did everything wrong you can do wrong. My only hope is that the tax people look at the mess that is my income tax return, sigh and decide it's not worth the bother and just charge me x amount because I can't really tell anyway. But I have a hunch this is not how tax people think. If I was Boris Becker I could at least move to Monaco. Plus, everything I send in is in the most dreadful state: the cats dumped red wine all over the form, my printer decided to smudge everything and the receipts look like somebody sat on them (which is probably what happened). I somehow doubt tax people like that. They are orderly people, neat people who save their bank statements in little binders. Unlike me who saves her bank statements in whatever pocket I stuffed them in. Or in the big box marked "IMPORTANT PAPERS" that I accidentally stepped on the other day when I wanted to get to my bed without turning on the light.

This doesn't bode well. Not at all. I'd choose death over taxes any day (especially since when I say that I have to think of Joe Black which was an abysmal film but it DID feature Brad Pitt as Death who then claims he's a tax person. Did I mention abysmal? And I'd take Brad Pitt over taxes any day.)

No comments: