Wednesday, January 29, 2003

Topic: The internet


I had to think about the internet today. Is it a good thing? Is it a bad thing? It certainly keeps you from doing important stuff by luring you with lots of mindless drivel. And people like me who are diverted easily get lured in and spend ages on sites nobody in their right mind should look at. On the other hand I met lots of my friends through the internet (then when we still had to use a dialer...those were the days...amazing that in all those years I still haven't learned what a graphics card looks like :)
Actually, I met one guy in a chat and he knew everybody else...so maybe that doesn't count at all.


I had a discussion some time ago (towards the beginning of this blog). I said something to the extent that meeting people you get to know on the internet can be tedious and a real drag. And it can. But I have to admit recently I've only made good experiences. So I guess sometimes you just have to give it a try. Having said that, I still won't talk to most of the people who ICQ me with "hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" and have names like "Imsolonelyandneedagirl". Maybe I'm just a snob. As if I had anything better to do. Oh well...


Totally Different Topic: Love


The usual mope-fest :) No, I just wanted to bring some thoughts to the world's attention. Ulisch and me were talking about how sometimes love can be such a waste of energy. Let me elaborate: You meet somebody and you fall in love. And this person doesn't give a damn. How so? I mean you usually don't fall in love just seeing somebody. There has to be something that induces you to fall in love. The aforementioned energy or whatever. You then assume that if you feel it, there should be something in return. But there isn't. And that seems such a waste. You're the one left with all that momentum and energy, all in vain, dissolving into nothingness. Pity, really.


Which brings me back to the topic of "How did love survive evolution?" I already elaborated on the point that love-lorn neanderthals were more likely to get eaten by sabretooth tigers and thus got no chance to procreate. What about people whose love isn't reciprocated? It's either the sabretooth tiger for them (moping and not paying attention) or else it would seem to me unhappy people would not really want to procreate with someone else. Maybe that's just me, though, and the neanderthals were having a lot of gratuitious comfort sex when feeling unloved. Maybe just striving for love leads to many procreation attempts...that and alcohol probably helped the species along.

No comments: