Monday, May 05, 2003

I had a shot of vitamin B and am feeling significantly more upbeat..maybe it is only the chemical imbalances in my brain. Either that or I am just oscillating back up to "high". The other day I was thinking about things that made/make me happy. I've made a list (I like doing lists). In no particular order and varying degrees of "happy":

  • Certain smells. For example: When you're walking around a (preferably mediterranean) city at dusk, it's still warm and there's people sitting in cafés..I like the way that smells. Can't really describe it. It's the "aroma of vacation". More profane but still good: the smell of coffee in the morning.
  • Lying in the sun on a terrace in a (preferably mediterranean again) country, reading a book. Best experienced with a beverage of your choice (le vin rouge, le gin & tonic).
  • Driving around in my car alone, belting out (show)tunes at the top of my lungs. Frank Sinatra. Elvis. Les Mis.
  • Driving around with friends, singing happy songs ("For the longest time").
  • Sitting in a café, having latte macchiato and watching people.
  • The moment when you find out you're in love. Sitting on the windowsill at your open window, smoking a cigarette and just looking out, thinking.
  • The moment when you find out he's in love with you, too.
  • And while everything has a rose tint when you're in love, a really good thing is waking up and seeing somebody you really love next to you.
  • Lying somewhere (maybe at the beach) at night, looking for constellations you know and watching out for falling stars to make a wish.
  • Certain parts of certain songs (the beginning of "Clocks")
  • The moment when you're sitting in a cinema to watch a film you've really been looking forward to and the curtain opens. (Helps to stay happy if the film really is as good as you expected it to be...then I'm really sad when the credits roll because I can never again see it for the first time.)
  • When you arrive at your destination and somebody is there to pick you up.

This is what I can think of right now...if you have any suggestions, please share. I think a list like that is probably pretty useful to look upon whenever you're feeling sad to remind you of that happy feeling.

No comments: