Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Still at work...couple of thoughts


As a rule of thumb, the not-so-well-German-speaking people (yeah, I know, that sounds horrible but you know what I mean) are always very friendly and really want to do everything right. That of course leads to them taking three times as long as everybody else. Had to suppress the urge of yelling: "It's just a stupid experiment, dammit!" a couple of times today, when they were writing down stuff - erasing stuff - writing down stuff - erasing stuff - writing down stuff - erasing stuff - you get the point.


And what is it with the slow people on bikes... They always do the following which annoys me no end: You overtake them. Not very easy because they have those huge basket thingies and whatnots sticking out. Then there's a traffic light. Red, of course. So you have to stop. Not so Mrs. I-am-so-slow-nobody-knows-why-I-don't-keel-over-on-the-spot. Nooooo. She comes puffing along, and sidles past you planting themselves in front of you again. Why do you do that? You know that I am faster - I have already overtaken you a couple of times. Is it the view? Maybe you don't like my butt. Well, I don't like yours either, missy. And now I have to inch along behind you waiting for another opportunity to get past the baguette you have there in your basket, you French-loving hussy.


Entertainment lowdown


  • Have heard several bad "Matrix reloaded" reviews so far. Am concerned.
  • Finished Filth. Think it's a really great book and everybody should read it pronto. I cried at the end and didn't quite know whether that makes me strange or not.
  • Finished Driving Mr. Albert today (waiting for the Bulgarians). Weird but good. The description on the back is spot on...it's a strange mixture of road trip, Einstein biography and musings. Somehow meditative and comfortable...and funny at times.
  • Next on my list: Finish Galatea 2.2 (I did tell you I participated in a book swap, didn't I? I got sent the Mr. Albert book and Galatea, which was kind of amazing as I really wanted them). Hi Diana. (By the way, the list of the books I am supposed to read grows longer. Apart from the pile in my apartment, I now have to add Middlesex to it.)

No comments: