Sunday, June 15, 2003

The other day I thought about queues. We all know the phenomenon that one of these things happens to the queue one joins:
  • The paper in the cash register runs out


  • The change runs out and there have to be negotiations between cashier/next cashier/manager


  • The old woman at the front of the line
    a) has forgotten to weigh her watermelon
    b) offers the cashier her wallet to take out the change


  • Every person in front of you is highly surprised they have to pay and take ages to finally take out their wallet


  • One item is scanned in incorrectly: "I need a manager at register #3 please"


  • The reason the queue you joined was the short one was that everybody else knew the cashier was crazy: "Look at the little barcode!"


  • The queue is long but the cashier still crazy: "Oooh..what kind of fruit might this be??" - "A banana"


  • It's the cashier's first day on the job:"What's the code for 'apple'?"
    That's common. Everyday practice. But another phenomenon I've encountered lately is whenever I need to join a queue, suddenly dozens of people get in line in front of me. For example, every time I go swimming, I get there, I look at the register, I see nobody in line. I turn around and lock my bike and - presto! 40 people have come out of cracks in the floor like busy little ants, scurrying towards the register. Not that ants would be scurrying towards the register. Well, maybe they would, but they wouldn't have to pay. You get my point, stop harassing me. Not that this has a point exactly, I just wanted to share. If you have any observations regarding queues, feel free to share them as well.


    Act of Random Kindness of the Day


    My roommate was looking all over for his subway pass today. Just now the door bell rings. Turns out he had lost it in the subway station this morning and somebody had found it. And he actually brought it to our door!!!

  • No comments: