Saturday, July 26, 2003

Just came back from the open air movies where I saw Good bye, Lenin! which I thought was really nice. Also, we saw satellites (didn't know you could see them at night) and a falling star. Starry Sky of the Day here.

I like looking at stars. You can keep sunsets and other romantic nonsense if you just place me under a starry sky (well, I kind of like sunsets, too, but stars have everything beat). Best place to watch stars was when I was on holiday in the south of France - lying on the terrace of my friend's house in the Provence. Glass of vin rouge, some pain au chocolat and unfortunately, no idea of the constellations. I know Cassiopeia, the Great Bear and Orion and I am working on knowing the constellations I stuck over my bed. Yay for sticky stars.

Anal retentive as I am, I arranged the constellations over my bed just like the real night sky, only they don't look like the night sky as I had two different sizes of stars which skew the view just a teensy weensy bit. I have the aforementioned ones and Taurus (as I am one), Swan and I think Gemini and Leo, too. But that's kind of hazy, I don't remember which ones I chose, as mostly I chose them because of the amount of stars I had.

Easy to recognize there, hard to recognize in real life: Constellation "Dog" which is only one star - I had one sticky star left over and looked for an appropriate constellation in my star map. Strangely enough, the star in constellation "Dog" is not the Dogstar - that is in the Great Dog.

But enough of stars. Though if you're interested I could tell you some more....nah.

Instead, I'll grace you with another observation - one I have made before but it presented itself again to me yesterday and today: Nonsmoking is bad for your social life. Let me elaborate: Everybody had left the office but me, and they had hired this guy to enter some data who was ergo working at the office, too. Now if we had been both smokers, we would have met in front of the office sharing a light, maybe chatting, getting to know each other. As it was, we didn't talk at all. Oh, not quite - when we left he asked me if I was the youngest person in the office (Well, duh, I am the ONLY person in the office right now - didn't say that, just kidding). But by then we were standing outside, it was raining and I had to catch the subway to take care of Pete York. Opportunity missed, I guess.

Then again, he was wearing a purple shirt that looked like a carpet. With patterns on it that hurt the eye. But I am willing to overlook such exterior superficialities - maybe his mom gave it to him. Like the reindeer sweater Colin Firth wears in Bridget Jones. Then again, that's Colin Firth (who by the way I am sure is just on his way over here, seeing his errant ways of marrying the Italian broad). This guy however, he was not only a non-smoker, he was a non-coffee-drinker! These are people I view with some suspicion.

No comments: