Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Was sort of proud of myself today. I came home and was really tired, but I still went out jogging. Then again, you might call it "stupid" as well :)

My monitor decided it wants to work again.

I need to work on my assertiveness. Is there assertiveness training? It probably consists of yelling a lot and doing lots of exercises that make you feel stupid (I should know as my major is / was "Psycho - Seminars". It really is. Called differently, but that's the gist of it. We design stupid trainings. Stupid-Trainings-R-Us.) I never thought much of seminars...that's one of the reasons I don't want to work as a trainer.

I'm not talking about seminars that actually have a subject (Learn Excel etc.), what I'm talking about is seminars that teach "social skills". Usually people don't want to go there, then bitch and moan at everything they have to do, then bitch and moan about it some more behind your back and then go back to work having learned nothing.

Team building might help a little bit, but probably not very much. Well, actually I attended one seminar out in the wilderness that was fun but also included a lot of the hot air that is common in business consulting. And that's the reason why I don't like business consulting in general. Lots of hot air, everybody (but the person who hired you - and sometimes even those) hates you and the outcome equals zero most of the time.

So much for assertiveness training. There is a fine line between assertive and obnoxious and I can't really tell the difference most of the time. Need to work on my social skills but I covered that already. Then again, I am leaving that for later, at the moment my social skills can wait, I think.

No comments: