Sunday, July 20, 2003

Oh deer

I met one today when I was out jogging in the park.

Shopping rules

Then I went grocery shopping. And I want to introduce to you the two main rules for grocery shopping:

1. Don't go shopping when you're hungry
2. Don't go shopping when you just finished jogging and your blood sugar is really low

Rule 1 is widely known, but I am repeating it here because I bought so much food that when I left the store a packet of Twix fell off my cart because there was no room for it anymore and the cart rolled over it and now I've got squashed Twix at home. That doesn't mention the fact that I had a hard time fitting stuff into the shelves in the kitchen. And the fridge is filled to the brim with yoghurt. Among other things.

Rule 2 has newly been installed as half of the things I bought come from the sweets aisle. Did I mention the packet of Twix? I also have 4 different kinds of chocolate, a variety of cookies and M&Ms. And hard candy. Only no gummi bears but I was sorely tempted and had to remind myself that I hate gummi bears, the beastly things.

Honesty

Today's Jogging Thought Topic (one needs to keep occupied) was Honesty. I was thinking that I am a pretty honest person. I can't lie without blushing (I suck at poker) and I usually like to stick to the truth. Most of the time I only lie because I'm not quick enough to come up with a truthful answer. Like when asked about my age. Now it's easy to remember but then I did not immediately know the answer (I suck at numbers). So I just came up with a random number. And that's how it usually works. Question: "Do you have the book?" Me: [brain works too slow, can't come up with the correct answer] "Yes, of course." (Of course I don't have the book which might lead to embarassing situations later on).

Anyway. Although I am a truthful person, I will hardly ever reveal anything really important about me. And I will lie if asked. Then again, that statement probably is an oxymoronic one, because that seems like an important revelation. Well, it's just one of those "hardly ever" moments, I guess.

Literature

Started reading my Narnia books again and made a sad discovery. I just can't enjoy them like I did when I was little. I used to love my Narnia books and I could quote entire passages by heart even now ... but then I missed the whole christian subcontext. And that even though I had the strictest catholic upbringing of everybody I know (bar nun). Now the christian overtones jump out at me like when you are walking through high grass not expecting anything enjoying the scenery and suddenly a huge grasshoper springs out at you. [sproing] And then the grasshopper stands there and stares at you. Did I mention it was really huge? 5 feet or so? Now you know how I am feeling. I can't enjoy my childhood friends anymore. It depresses me.

Other

What else? I got a message from the guy with the wife saying how he was looking forward to meet me again. (Yay)

And if you're interested in my World Domination Progress: Here's what Europe looks like at the moment. If you forgot, I am Italy (which is green on the map). I did a maneuvre I hereby like to dub the "Balkan Somersault" which is what led to my lonely Army in Serbia. Diplomatic relations to Austria are rather chilly (to say the least).

No comments: