Wednesday, August 27, 2003

I wanted to go to sleep but instead I watched the rest of the football match Dortmund vs. Brügge that I had plainly forgotten. (Champions League Qualification). Didn't really bother me, as I had watched a couple of awful Dortmund Champions League games this year- I think it was against Everton where Dortmund could have stayed home as well - would have been less embarrassing. This game however - at least the part I watched - Dortmund played really well. I mean when it was the second 15 minutes of the extension they still played football that was fun to watch and that's saying something.

And then Brügge's defender De Cock (!!! 'nuff said) ostensibly shoves the ball out of the penalty zone with his hand. In front of the ref, no less. Nothing happens!!!!!!!! No penalty!!!! This can't be true!!!! I get all excited and jump up and down in my bed. They were robbed!!!! Then there's a foul against Amoroso and at least one of the Brügge guys is sent off. But only 10 mins left to play. My heart is racing. Dortmund is pressing on the goal. Ewerthon is trying really hard, the poor little guy. Rosicky seems exhausted. Young people today! (Benni Lauth's stamina usually tapers out around the 72nd minute or so, but I digress). Nothing works, though.

End of extension. Game will be settled by penalties. I hate that. It gets me really riled up and the team I want to win usually loses. Dortmund has a fairly new keeper. He looks nervous. Great. What do the referees decide? Shoot at the goal in the Belgian curve. Yeah right. That does it. Who is this referee working for??? My adrenaline hits the roof. I curse somewhat.

First penalty - the Belgian goalie guesses it right and saves. Nervous Dortmund goalie doesn't even go in the general direction of the ball. 1:0 for Brügge. I am eating my blanket by now. Hiding my head doesn't do any good, either. Dortmund's Norwegian guy kicks the ball like a first-grader. Easy save for the cool-as-a-cucumber keeper. Brügge scores again. The next two Dortmund penalties go in, but it's too late - Brügge wins while the Dortmund goalie doesn't even move anymore. Angry resignation on my part. However, got so much adrenaline in my blood I can't go to sleep now. Grrrr.

Am watching the post-match trainer interview. Johannes B. Kerner is looking like a roast chicken (sorry Alex, but he does), inching closer and closer to Matthias Sammer while touching him all the time. I would have inserted my orange ZDF microphone into one of his nostrils while yelling "YOU'RE INTRUDING INTO MY PERSONAL ZONE!! BACK OFF, BUCKO!!!" (I actually did yell that, anyway - substitute HIS for MY here). Now my adrenaline is sky high and I can't sleep, so I turn the computer back on. There you have it.

It's not as much fun watching an exciting game all by yourself, though. Shouted at the TV a couple of times (well, fairly often, to be honest :) but that doesn't carry the same resonance somehow. Well, at least it's better than watching a Champions League final penalty shootout with people who care nothing about football but still want Bayern to win. And then Bayern wins. I still shudder at the thought.

No comments: