Monday, August 25, 2003

I can't get no sleep - dee dum dum dum (Faithless playing in my head)

Deep in the bosom of the gentle night
Is when I search for the light
Pick up my pen and start to write
I struggle, I fight dark forces in the clear moonlight
Without fear
Insomnia
I can't get no sleep
I used to worry
Thought I was going mad in a hurry
Getting stressed, making excess mess in darkness
No electricity, something's all over me, greasy
Insomnia please release me
And let me dream of making mad love to my girl on the heath
Tearing off tights with my teeth
But there's no release, no peace
I toss and turn without cease
Like a curse, open my eyes and rise like yeast
At least a couple of weeks since I last slept, kept taking sleepers
But now I keep myself pepped
Deeper still, that night
I write by candlelight, I find insight
Fundamental movement, huh, so when it's black
This insomniac, take an original tack
Keep the beast in my nature
Under ceaseless attack
I gets no sleep
I can't get no sleep
I can't get no sleep
I can't get no sleep
I need to sleep, I can't get no sleep
I need to sleep, I can't get no sleep


I always liked the "rise like yeast" part. Not a very accurate metaphor - I don't really expand like yeast dough when I can't sleep. Still, it evokes some kind of gooey uncomfortable image in my head. Sort of how I'm feeling now.

Why is it that when you're searching for lyrics you always get THOUSANDS OF POPUPS? Are people who search for lyrics more prone to sign up for stuff? Does the reasoning go: You're too stupid to remember the lyrics to Insomnia, so you will happily install any program that asks you to? Yes, I want to install "1-900-COSTS-A-LOT.exe" rightaway.

In that vein: Somebody once asked me this rhetorical question that I now want to share with you: Why is it that you can check: "Install all programs of this company, I trust it", but not "Never ask me again whether I want to install Gator cause I sure as hell don't"? So true. I just now had to fend off about a gazillion Gator popup windows. I bet it's installed itself nevertheless and I need to run my trusty AdAware again. Sigh.

Oh well, I've got time. Not like there's much to do at 4:11 am. I once read in one of those women's magazines that you should use insomnia to do things you should have done a long time ago. Like organize your closet. Or go shopping for groceries. I actually liked to get my grocery shopping done at night and I certainly do it now if I could. But I can't.

No comments: