Monday, September 08, 2003

I'm back! Yes, the weekend was really busy. Fun, too, though.

First, I went to a party of the Riddle SceneTM. And (drumroll) I met the Grand Master of Riddles ... who was a rather strange character (well who'd have thunk) and just left in the middle of the night without saying good-bye or anything. Anyway, it was a fun evening, the same procedure as last year.

Then, I went to my Dad's birthday party. Soon got fed up with all the relatives who only talked about my remarkable weight loss. I like hearing about weight loss as much as the next woman, I guess, but after the 20th person says: "You look so much better now" it gets on your nerves. No, I don't look better at all. I'm just thinner, that's all. I look exactly the same as always. But you wouldn't know, having seen me 10 years ago, approximately. My uncle's wife said: "You'll have a whole new life ahead of you". Excuse me? It's not like I weighed 200 kilos and had to be lifted around with a crane. A new life? Ummm. OK.

Well, I kept mostly to the English people as I hadn't seen most of them for ages. At least they didn't remark on my weight loss, thank you very much. One of them only said I was rather tan. Which I'm not either, but maybe compared to 10 years ago? Apart from that I realized my English is rather rusty. Especially when I am talking to British people because either I am speaking American English feeling like a dolt or I'm trying to assimilate British English which totally messes up everything.

That was the weekend. Today, I went jogging since I didn't have time this weekend. And I'd like to complain about stupid people again. I mean, honestly. Last Saturday somebody moved my waterbottle about 200 meters, but I found it again - I guess he/she thought it was funny. But today I was really annoyed. Somebody stole my energy bar! I don't eat breakfast before I run, usually I eat some bread, but today I didn't have any at home, so I figured I'd take an energy bar. After it had fallen out of my pocket about 5 times, I decided to deposit it on the side of the road. When I came to pick it up after 45 minutes it was gone. I suspect

a) old people taking it to the trashcan, muttering about "littering" all the while

b) fat American tourists who can't sustain themselves on the huge breakfast they probably had

c) OK, it might have been a squirrel.

That's all I can think of. c) being the only scenario that wouldn't upset me. I lean heavily towards b), however, as there was a couple of whale-sized people milling about the park and I guess an energy bar on the ground is too much of a temptation to resist. Grrrr. The result was that I couldn't really run as long as I had intended to. Try running 36 km without any carbohydrates. Doesn't work. Especially not if you're unable to think positive thoughts since you only want to hurt the person who took your energy bar. Grrrr. I hope whoever took it gets stomach cramps. Or struck by lightning, whichever's more convenient. OK, enough. Breathe in, breathe out. It doesn't really matter. Thank you for listening, I'll be right over here, working on my thesis paper.

No comments: