Saturday, December 14, 2002

OK. Today I have a couple of different strains of thought...


#1: Scary part of the day
Foremost on my mind because I may not be able to sleep today...just returned from the Sneak Preview and saw one of the scariest movies in a long time aka The Ring. Now I had read a couple of reviews before and apparently there are two kinds of opinions about this movie...either you think it's total crap or it scares the shit out of you. With me, it did the latter. I went with Ulisch and Tinisch and her boyfriend, and Ulisch showed the exact same reaction as I did, the boyfriend thought it was scary as hell, too, and Tinisch found it unscary and pointless. So that's three out of four for scary...I can't remember when it happened the last time that I did not watch the last 45 minutes of a movie because I had my ears plugged up and was trying to cover my eyes as well (really hard to do, by the way)....


What was so scary about it? / Why would I think it's crap? you ask...well, it contained a lot of surreal images (it was really well photographed by the way) which either scare you or you think they are completely pointless. There weren't many gory scenes - I can take those just fine - it just evoked this scary atmosphere that really grates on your nerves. Add to that the scary music and the occasional jump-out-of-your-seat-scenes and you've got yourself the recipe for driving me close to a heart attack.

Last time I was so scared actually was a Buffy episode (that I still haven't managed to see in its entirety, mind you) called Hush. Yeah, I can see you now going "Scared of a Buffy episode..huh...*cough*bullshit*cough". While I admit to being scared easily, that episode really is scary!!! It is (almost) completely silent and the monsters are called "Gentlemen"..really polite, smiling all the time..until they very politely cut people's hearts out..gave me the creeps. But I digress. My point is, that episode had the same kind of eerie quality that this movie possessed which makes me freak out. At some point I actually considered leaving the theater, because I anyway wasn't able to look at the screen...


#2: Fun Part of the Day
In contrast, this is the fun thing that happened today: 2 years ago, Ulisch and Jule had promotional pictures taken for the Trimini (spa kind of place). "Just for a small brochure" they said...now huge posters of Jule appeared everywhere throughout Munich and they both can be seen on the spa's website. If you want to take a look, see here: www.suchdasulischundjule.de


#3: Discussion Topic of the Day
I was thinking about lies. Recently, I was telling a lie. Just a little white lie, nothing much. But now I am thinking this lie could be really inconvenient later on. You know, when sometimes you think it's just easier resorting to a little lie but later it gets blown way out of proportion and makes everything that much harder. If you had told the truth in the first place, maybe trouble like that could have been avoided. Plus, later on if you think the truth should be told now, it's much more inconvenient because you have to explain why you lied etc. But there usually is no rational explanation, it was just a spur-of-the-moment-decision that you regret later...I would make a vow of complete honesty from now on, but I do not think I will keep it... I was just wondering if everybody felt like that or if you have no trouble with that, either because you always stick to the truth or because you think lying's not a big deal. Maybe I am just too honest..lying makes me uncomfortable. And expanding a lie to cover for myself makes me even more uncomfortable. Whatever. Again, this probably is a moot point but I thought I'd just share it with you...

No comments: