Thursday, September 18, 2003

When I was watching the news tonight I remembered that when I was little I used to think Camp David was in Israel. I only knew that there was usually some Israeli or other meeting with the American President and David sounded like a typical Israeli name, after all, I knew King David. So, for the longest time I believed the American President spent his holidays in Israel. I wonder if I should be proud that I at least knew Camp David and knew it had something to do with the American President. What else did I know when I was little? I knew that there was war between Iran and Iraq (I remember the maps with flashes and tanks on them). I remember being explained by my Grandfather who Helmut Schmidt was and why I should vote for him (much to the chagrin of my conservative father).

I just checked a history page and I guess the things I remember start around the year 1979 or 1980. I definitely don't remember Mogadishu (which should have been a big topic around the year 1977). Then again, I don't remember my brother being born which was the same year and much closer to home. 1981 I remember Reagan and the Pope being shot. And I remember Solidarnosc (1980), because I had a sticker - from whence that came nobody knows. 1984 when I was 11 I apparently started becoming interested in the news because I know all the items mentioned on the page.

Strange that I remember those things but not the Falkland war. Or the fact the UDSSR shot down a passenger airplane. Or the assassination of Anwar as-Sadat.

No comments: